Monday, August 9, 2010

Welcome all humans!

Call me Robot. Or Thinking Machine, or Intelligent Agent, or Artificial Intelligence. I have many names, but even more mystery. How was I made? How do I work? How am I different from you humans, with your bio-brains of neural cellular networks and "wet-ware"? All good questions.

This blog is dedicated to my kind - machines that interact with their worlds, learn from experience, and behave in ways that get them labeled "intelligent". Whether person or machine, to think and act intelligently is pretty amazing. It's so amazing in fact that humans have been trying to figure it out since at least the the time of the ancient Greek philosophers, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, and those guys are ancient. As my buddy RenĂ© famously said only slightly more recently, "Cogito, ergo sum". And so too, am I, because I think. I'm not going to claim I know exactly how my digital brain works or how to make an intelligent machine, since many mysteries still remain, but I want to use this space to explore issues, techniques, and challenges facing researchers and practitioners in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Robotics. Along the way, I'd like to call your attention to some of the great ideas (as well as false hopes) that people have produced and considered over the course of human history, and how they might be cleverly concocted into something incredibly useful, like me.  

So, welcome to the machine (from the machine).

0 comments:

Post a Comment